Triple Vanilla Scones with Cinnamon Sugar Filling
- For filling: In a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, vanilla sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Using your fingertips, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly and no lumps remain. Set aside.
- For dough: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ¼ cup (50 grams) vanilla sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Add 1 cup (240 grams) cold cream and vanilla extract, stirring with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn out dough onto a sheet of parchment paper. Divide dough in half (about 311 grams each), and roll each half into a round. Cover with a second sheet of parchment paper, and press each half into a 16.5cm disk. Remove top sheet of parchment. Press filling into center of one disk of dough, leaving a 0.7cm border on all sides.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and remaining 1 teaspoon (5 grams) cold cream. Brush egg wash onto edges of dough. Top with second disk of dough, and press around edges to seal. (Final product should be 16.5cm in diameter and 2.5cm high.) Cover and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 6 wedges. Place at least 2.5cm apart on prepared pan. Brush with egg wash, and top with remaining 1½ tablespoons (18 grams) vanilla sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking to prevent excess browning. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes. Let cool completely.
- For glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, cream, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add reserved vanilla bean seeds, and whisk until evenly distributed. Use immediately. Drizzle glaze over cooled scones.