Valentines Sugar Cookies
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Into another clean bowl, using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the egg, Heilala Pure Vanilla extract and Flavored Vanilla Extract if using. Beat until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. The dough will be soft. If it seems too soft and sticky for rolling add 1 Tablespoon of flour.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. Roll out each piece on a floured, baking paper sheet with a lightly floured rolling pin until the dough is ¼ inch.
- Lightly dust the rolled dough with flour. Place a piece of baking paper on top to prevent sticking. Place the 2nd rolled out piece on top. Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 177°C.
- Line 2-3 large baking sheets with baking paper.
- Remove the top layer of cookie dough from the refrigerator. Using a heart shaped cookie cutter cut the dough into shapes. Re-roll any off-cuts and repeat until all the dough is used. Repeat the same with the second layer of dough.
- Arrange the cookies on the baking paper 7.5cm apart. Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Allow cookies to cool completely before decorating.
Easy Glaze Icing
- Using a fork, stir the sugar, vanilla, vanilla syrup and 4 Tablespoons of water together in a medium bowl. It will be very thick and difficult to stir. Using a whisk, whisk in ½ Tablespoon of water. Lift the whisk and let the icing drizzle into the bowl, a ribbon of icing should hold shape for a few seconds before melting back into the icing. If it is too thick, whisk in another ½ Tablespoon of water until you reach the required consistency.
- Divide your icing into separate bowls if you are planning to use different colors. When tinting use 1-2 drops at a time until your desired color is reached. The color will darken as the icing dries.
- Spoon the icing into piping bags fitted with a #4 Wilton Piping tip. Decorate your cookies starting with an outline of the cookie and filling in the middle. Decorate with sprinkles or cachous as desired.