We love to work with people who are as passionate about what they do as we are about what we do. Tenina Holder is one of those people. An expert in anything Thermomix and long-time Heilala Vanilla supporter, we love everything that comes out of her kitchen. Her Vanilla Butter Cake with Ermine Frosting is no exception!
Ermine Frosting is made using a roux of flour and milk. This mixture is then beaten into butter, caster sugar and vanilla – creating the silkiest most delicious frosting. This recipe was a firm favourite among bakers during WW2 as they could create the most beautiful soft frosting without burning through a weeks’ worth of butter or sugar rations.
Vanilla Butter Cake with Ermine Frosting
Everyday Butter Cake
- 250 grams butter, cut in cubes
- 150 grams Greek yoghurt
- 200g full cream milk
- 2 teaspoons Heilala Pure Vanilla Paste
- 4 eggs
- 420 grams raw caster sugar
- 440 grams plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch pink salt flakes
- 35 grams plain flour
- 200 grams full cream milk
- 200 grams unsalted butter
- 150 grams caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon Heilala Pure Vanilla Bean Paste
Everyday Butter Cake
- Preheat oven to 170°C/338°F and butter and line two 21cm/8-inch cake tins with paper.
- Place butter into a stand mixer and beat until butter is softened.
- Add yoghurt, milk, vanilla and eggs and mix until light and airy and well combined.
- Add sugar, flour and baking powder, bicarb soda and salt. Mix until the batter comes together, finishing by hand if needed.
- Divide batter between tins and tap gently to level tops of cake.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden and springing back to the touch. Cool for 15 minutes in the tin before removing from tins.
- Cool completely before finishing cakes as directed.
- Make a roux with the flour and milk by stirring briskly together over a medium heat until thickened. Pour into bowl, cover with plastic wrap, pushing plastic down onto surface of mixture. Cool completely.
- Aerate the butter by whipping it with either a hand held beater or in a stand mixer, until it is softened and creamy. Add the sugar and vanilla bean paste and whip again until combined.
- Add cooked and cooled roux mixture and continue to beat for around 2 minutes until very smooth and white. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Use immediately.