Soft Heilala Vanilla Bean Nougat
By popular demand! If you've tried our Vanilla Bean Nougat samplers then you'll love this make-at-home recipe.
Makes approx 4 cups
Time: 20 min
- 3 cups ice
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons of Heilala Vanilla Paste or 2 Heilala Vanilla Beans, scraped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place the ice in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Put the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and set aside.
- Stir together the sugar, corn syrup, and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil without stirring until the mixture reaches 114°C on a candy thermometer, about 6 minutes.
- Begin whipping the egg whites on low speed for about 1 minute, just until they are a little frothy. Continue cooking the sugar syrup until it reaches 118°C. (If your temperature goes higher, shock the syrup by setting the pan in the bowl of ice.) Pour a splash of the syrup into the egg whites, aiming for the space between the rim of the bowl and the whisk attachment. Continue whisking as you slowly add the rest of the hot sugar syrup. Increase the mixer speed to medium and whip until the nougat reaches a full, frothy foam, about 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla paste or vanilla seeds and salt to the nougat. Keep whipping until it forms stiff peaks, about 3 minutes more. Allow to cool in the bowl. Once it is at room temperature, tip into into a rectangle baking dish and press evenly with a spatula.
- Cut into squares while soft and let it set in the fridge for 1-2 hours or until firm.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days or in the freezer for 2 months. (If frozen, thaw an hour in the refrigerator before using.) If you prefer a firm texture then store in the fridge.