Salted Chocolate and Vanilla Bean Brittle
- 65g butter
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 Heilala Vanilla Bean, scraped or 1 tsp Heilala Vanilla Paste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp Heilala Vanilla Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the base of a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the butter, caster sugar and vanilla bean seeds or vanilla paste into a bowl and, using an electric beater, beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well.
- Fold in half of the flour, then half of the milk. Fold in the remaining flour and milk. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave the teacake to stand in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack.
- Brush the top of the cake with the melted butter, then sprinkle it with the vanilla sugar. Serve warm with whipped cream flavoured with a dash of vanilla bean paste.